Friday, July 28, 2006

Darfur is not a clothing company....part II

THIS is Darfur:
the basics:
1. Darfur is a region in western Sudan, in northern Africa.
2. Since 2003,due to fighting between the govt. of Sudan and rebel groups, up to 400,000 civilians have died.
3. Over 2 million people have been displaced(not able to remain to their homes) inside Darfur, or have become refugees outside of Darfur.
4. Thousands of villages in Darfur have been burned to the ground.

The politics of the situation are sometimes muddled and extremely difficult, and some people have said it is a war between the Arab govt. and the black ethnic Christians, but the main point is that regardless of why they are fighting, they should not be allowed to kill, rape, and traumatize hundreds of thousands of civilians in the process. Already labeled a genocide by the US and others, the Sudanese govt. has already publicly announced that it is "ethnically cleansing" the region, and has made repeated refusals to allow any peace keeping entities to enter the region, including dogged attempts by the UN.

This coming September, the only grass roots peace keeping body will pull out of Darfur, called the African Union, leaving no one to protect the civilians of Darfur until January of 2007 at the earliest. See the petition to SAVE DARFUR in my earlier posts on this blog, and the link to view it as well.

In response to this information, I have been doing what I can now for Darfur, every little bit helps, even if its just educating others about the situation. As I have said again and again, when I have asked my peers, clients,and friends one question: " If you knew that the Nazi holocaust or Rwandan genocide were happening today, would you do anything about it? Would you try and stop it?" their resounding response it "yes, of course" and I say : "well, it is happening, right now."

Want to help Darfur?
Keep posted here, contact me at: perennialgenerator@yahoo.com , I have plenty of websites to pass along.
Come support me at my awareness and fundraising event for Darfur and possible launch for OSMOSIS at the VA Holocaust Museum Nov. 12th.

many many thanks-

1 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger  beingwoman said...

Wow. Double wow. Yes, I will check back and that launch sounds powerful and yes, every little bit counts. Thank you for keeping me the loop. I will pop by the shop this week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home